Lloyd's Register, on April 12th, 2023, informed about the agenda for the IMO Pollution Prevention and Response Sub-Committee (PPR 10).
PPR 10 will be held from 24 – 28 April 2023.
The IMO Pollution Prevention and Response Sub-Committee is where discussions on the prevention of pollution in the marine environment take place prior to agreement by the IMO’s Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC).
The information in LR's PPR 10 Agenda Preview is applicable to all designers, shipyards, shipowners, ships' crews, ship managers, and equipment manufacturers.
Below are some of the topics expected to be discussed at PPR 10 and will have some impact on current practices:
Prevention of Air Pollution from Ships
- Development on reduction of the impact on the Arctic of Black Carbon emissions from international shipping.
- Attempt to finalise the draft standards for shipboard gasification of waste systems.
- Development of amendments to MARPOL Annex VI and the NOx Technical Code on the use of multiple engine operational profiles for a marine diesel engine.
- Potential finalisation of proposed amendments to regulation 13.2.2 of MARPOL Annex VI.
- Potential finalisation of proposed unified interpretation of regulations 18.5 and 18.6 of MARPOL Annex VI.
Biofouling, Ballast water management and Anti-fouling
- Development of a form of the Biofouling Management plan and Biofouling Record Book.
- Finalisation of the revised 2011 Guidelines for the control and management of ships’ biofouling to minimize the transfer of invasive aquatic species (resolution MEPC.207(62)).
- Finalisation of a draft unified interpretation of the ballast water management convention to clarify the "Date of construction" in the Form of the International Ballast Water Management Certificate (IBWMC).
Marine HNS Response Manual
- Development of an operational guide on the response to spills of Hazardous and Noxious Substances (HNS).
HFO as fuel by ships in Arctic waters
- Development of measures to reduce risks of use and carriage of heavy fuel oil as fuel by ships in Arctic waters further considering outcome of NSCR 9.
Revised IBTS Guidelines and amendment to the IOPP Certificate and Oil Record Book
- Finalisation of the draft 2020 Guidelines for systems for handling oily wastes in machinery spaces of ships incorporating guidance notes for an Integrated Bilge Water Treatment System (IBTS).
- Finalisation the draft Amendments to MARPOL Annex I, appendix II (Form of the IOPP certificate and Supplements) and appendix III (Form of Oil Record Book).
MARPOL Annex IV and Marine Plastic Litter
- Development of additional draft amendments to the 2012 Guidelines on implementation of effluent standards and performance tests for sewage treatment plants (Type Approval Guidelines or TA Guidelines)
- Development of draft amendments to the Guidelines on implementation of MARPOL Annex IV for sewage treatment plants.
- Development of draft amendments to the MARPOL Annex IV.
- Potential development of a new draft guidelines on clean-up of plastic pellets from ship-source spills.
The following ad-hoc working, technical or drafting groups are expected to be established during the PPR 10 session:
- Working Group on Marine Biosafety (WG 1)
- Working Group on Prevention of Air Pollution from Ships (WG 2)
- Working Group on Marine Plastic Litter from Ships (WG 3)
- Technical Group on Evaluation of Safety and Pollution Hazards of Chemicals (ESPH TG)
- Drafting Group on Pollution Response (DG)
You can download the whole LR document HERE:
Summary Report for the IMO Maritime Safety Committee (MSC 107) published by LR
Jun 09, 2023
IMO published the Explanatory Notes to the Interim Guidelines on Second Generation Intact Stability Criteria
Jun 06, 2023
Amendments (41-22) to the IMDG Code: all you need to know
Jun 05, 2023